A British cheese, Cornish Blue, has been crowned World Champion at the 2010 World Cheese Awards – the first time a British producer has won the title in 10 years.
The world’s greatest cheese awards, run by the UK’s Guild of Fine Food, returned to the UK this year and was hosted at the BBC Good Food Show on 24 November 2010. 201 judges from 19 different countries judged 2,629 cheeses from 29 countries including Mexico, South Africa and Australia.
The Cornish Cheese Company was crowned World Champion for their Cornish Blue. Cheese maker and farmer Phillip Stansfield said he was “overwhelmed” by the win. The day after the Awards, he reported two major supermarkets and most wholesalers supplying delicatessens and farm shops had increased orders for the winning cheese.
The reserve Champion was also British – Swaledale Blue from Yorkshire – confirming British cheese is at the top of its game, according to organisers.
Bob Farrand, the Awards chairman and national director of the Guild of Fine Food, said: “Over the past two decades, this country has enjoyed an astounding revival in farmhouse and artisan British cheese making. Couple this with the recent increase in British cheese exports, it’s just fantastic a British cheese from a British producer is World Champion for the first time in a decade.”
Other major winners of this year’s awards include:
- Reserve Champion – Swaledale Blue – Swaledale Cheese Co
- Best Mature Traditional Cheddar – JA & E Montgomery
- Best Cheese entered by a PTF Member – Mature Block Farmhouse – AJ & RG Barber
- Best New Cheese – Paski Sir – Sirana Gligora (Croatia)
- Best USA Cheese – Tarentaise – Spring Brook Farm
- Best South African Cheese – Huguenot, Dalewood Fromage
- Best Continental Cheese – Gruyere Premier Cru – Von Muhlenen
- Best Le Gruyere AOC – Gruyere Premier Cru – Von Muhlenen
- Best Mature Block Farmhouse Cheddar – AJ & RG Barber
- Best British Cheese – Cornish Blue – Cornish Cheese Company
- Best English Cheese – Cornish Blue – Cornish Cheese Company
- Best Welsh Cheese – Gorwydd Caerphilly – Trethowan’s Dairy
- Best PDO Blue Cheese – Creamy Gorgonzola DOP – Cairati, Fine Italian Foods
- Best Spanish Cheese – Lo Pebrat d’Ossera – Fomatgeria Serrat Gros
- Best CanaryIsland Cheese – Untado en Pimenton – Finca de Uga
- Best French Cheese – Brebis – French Food Freaks
- Best Italian Cheese – Rossini – Arrigoni Valtagleggio Spa
- Best Irish Cheese – Newmarket Creamery Vintage Red Cheddar – Traditional Cheese Co