Weekend sales for eBay.co.uk show that Brits are snuggling up and preparing for winter with heavyweight duvets, onesies and snow boots among the top 10 selling items. The Hunger Games is not only leading at the box office, but the book trilogy is also one of the best-selling gifts of the weekend, followed by a Royal Worcester decanter and glass set, remote controlled helicopter and Hugo Boss men’s aftershave.
Looking ahead to this weekend, Tanya Lawler, VP of eBay in the UK, said: “E-commerce standards have evolved so that consumers expect faster delivery as well as options to pick their goods up locally if they want to. With local services like Click & Collect, people can shop online with confidence right up until 23 December and pick up in store on Christmas Eve which could have a big impact on online shopping times.
“It’s not just about a few busy online shopping days any longer. On eBay, we’re expecting to see a longer peak shopping period running right up to Christmas week, including a double bubble of busy weekends. For retailers selling on eBay, the weekend of 7/8 December could be as big or even bigger than 30 November/1 December.”
eBay.co.uk top 10 selling items (weekend of 30 November/1 December 2013)
- Silentnight 13.5 tog duvet and memory foam pillows
- Silentnight 13.5 tog winter duvet and ultrabounce pillow pair
- The Hunger Games Trilogy Box of Books
- Royal Worcester decanter with four liqueur glasses and two wine glasses
- Remote controlled helicopter
- Hugo Boss Dark Blue eau de toilette
- Skin spa egg pod pro pedicure set
- Snow boots
- Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-5
- Men’s adult onesies all in one
Huge mobile commerce growth on Cyber Monday
In addition, the latest global figures from eBay Enterprise show that mobile visits increased nearly 116% on Cyber Monday, whilst mobile orders increased by almost 98% during the holiday weekend (30 November and 1 December).
- Consumers continued to use mobile phones as a browsing tool, while tablets were preferred for placing orders
- On Cyber Monday, mobile phones accounted for 66.7% of mobile visits and 41.31% of mobile orders, while tablets accounted for 32.5% of mobile visits and 58.4% of mobile orders
- Mobile activity during the holiday weekend 2013 was also on the rise, with the number of consumers visiting our platform or platforms of our partners from a mobile device, increasing 110.9% and total mobile orders increasing 97.7% compared to last year’s holiday weekend