The new FreeFrom Eating Out Awards are designed to raise awareness of the opportunities offered to foodservice providers by the growing numbers of those either needing, or choosing, to eat ‘freefrom’.
The awards are being launched to coincide with the build up to the new Food Information Regulations (FIRs) coming into force in December 2014. These will require all foodservice outlets to provide accurate information about any of the 14 major allergens in the food that they serve.
The new awards will celebrate not only imaginative and exciting gluten, dairy and egg free menu offerings but good allergen awareness, both in the kitchen and front of house. Categories include:
1. Restaurants and hotel restaurantS
2. Pubs and pub restaurantS
3. Cafés, coffee shops and ‘take-aways’
4. Guest houses and B&Bs
6. Not for profit services: hospitals, prison services & the military
7. Food manufactured for food service
Sodexo, the world’s largest services company, is headline sponsor for the new awards. Wan Mak, head of nutrition and dietetics at Sodexo says: “We are delighted to be sponsoring these awards and we hope that it will raise awareness of the importance of providing information for people with allergies.”
Says Antony Worrall Thompson, patron of the awards: “The success of retail freefrom products illustrates how important FreeFrom options are. The FreeFrom Eating Out Awards are an exciting opportunity for this section of consumers. They will set a bar and encourage the pursuit of excellence across the industry.”
• The awards open for entry on the 27th May and close on the 31 August
• A shortlist will be published in mid September
• The presentations will take place on 19 November 2014 at the FoodMatters Live Event at Excel