Forty nine per cent of all perfume sales in the UK happen in November and December, making it a top pick at Christmas.
But what motivates Brits to buy scents at Christmas? MBNA’s research into what makes the perfume industry smell the sweet scent of success includes a survey with YouGov.
The survey finds:
- 40% of fragrances bought as gifts are purchased just a week before the event indicating they are somewhat “last minute” gifts
- 51% of men buy perfume the week before, while among women the figure was lower at 27%
- 24% of people don’t know the name of their partners’ preferred fragrance
- 36% of men are guilty of this, whereas only 13% of women don’t know this
- 70% of those who have been in a relationship have purchased a fragrance for their partner as a gift
- It’s still a more “impulse buy” – only 24% say they researched their perfume choice online before making a purchase
- It would appear perfume is a “safe gift” – 72% of people like getting it as a gift
MBNA has put together more research on British shoppers’ relationship with perfume, including the cost breakdown of perfume production.