An acclaimed trade guide for independent retailers and wholesalers selling tobacco, produced earlier this year by leading industry trade associations the Scottish Wholesale Association (SWA) and the Scottish Grocers’ Federation (SGF), has now been launched as a free iPhone/iPad App on iTunes.
The ‘Fingertip Guide to the New Tobacco Display Laws’, an important guide to the law for retailers and wholesalers, was produced by the SWA and SGF to help the industry fully comply with the changes to tobacco display requirements included in the Tobacco and Primary Medical Services (Scotland) Act 2010. Now, the guide can be accessed at any time via the new app.
Acknowledged by the Scottish Government, the guide – published with the support of tobacco companies JTI, Imperial Tobacco and British American Tobacco – is a comprehensive reference to the legislation governing the display of tobacco in independent retailers and wholesalers in Scotland. It is designed to help the industry understand the law and, crucially, fully comply with the new legislation.
The user-friendly app, entitled ‘Tobacco Displays Scotland’, has been specifically created to assist businesses in complying with the new tobacco display laws in Scotland. It will be regularly updated while extra features will be added over time to make complying even easier. Features include:
- The only up-to-date version of the ‘Fingertip Guide to the New Tobacco Display Laws’ – containing extra sections which are not in the hard copy (four pages of specially prepared questions and answers addressing the requirements for Duty Free shops and specialist tobacconists)
- The ability to print* (*AirPrint compatible printer and correct operating system required), email, and bookmark the ‘Fingertip Guide to the New Tobacco Display Laws’, providing staff with easy access to the information they really need
- An easy-to-use ‘Notes’ section to store the information that is most useful
- All of the important legislation and guidance in one place and at your fingertips for the first time
- Ability to share the app with others through Twitter, Facebook, and email
Kate Salmon, executive director of the SWA, said: “The way we communicate is changing and evolving, and we have a duty to respond to this by relaying important information to our members and their customers using the up-to-date technology that is now widely available.
“Our industry must accept this new legislation and work in partnership to make the transition as seamless as possible for Scotland’s independent retailers and wholesalers. By working together with the SGF on initiatives like this we have a louder, stronger voice.”
John Drummond, chief executive of the SGF, said: “The guide is extremely useful for our members as it provides invaluable assistance to retailers who may be unclear as to what their legal obligations are. The new app will make it even easier to comply with the legislation and the fact that it will be updated with new information and features on an ongoing basis makes it even more useful.
“Growing numbers of independent retailers are embracing technology and we need to recognise this in the way we communicate important information to them. We’re also delighted to have once again collaborated with the SWA on this cutting-edge industry project.”
The ‘Fingertip Guide to the New Tobacco Display Laws’ was compiled by Scott Brady LLB MBA of ecos, the SWA’s independent adviser and lobbyist.
The app can be downloaded by searching ‘Tobacco Displays Scotland’ on the Apple App Store.