The latest footfall data for Black Friday weekend from Springboard reveals UK high streets were the winners this as online sales fell short of forecasts.
Springboard’s data includes footfall in physical stores across the UK for the Black Friday weekend and how this compares to previous years.
Key insights are that:
- The Black Friday shopping period (according to consumers) appears to have all but ended by Sunday – whilst online transactions rose on Saturday by +1.9%, by Sunday they had dipped by -5.5% from Sunday last year. Footfall also dipped a little on Sunday (by -0.6%)
- The dip in footfall was due to a fall in both retail parks and shopping centres, whilst footfall rose in high streets by +1.9%.
- The dip in footfall in retail parks of -1.8% between 9am and 5pm demonstrates that click and collect trips were not a key feature of the weekend, undoubtedly due to the lower than forecast rise in online transactions
- As has been the feature of the weekend as a whole, footfall in the period after 5pm rose noticeably in high streets on Sunday (by +8.4%). The early closing times of stores on Sunday reinforces even more strongly the growth in leisure oriented trips over the past year, particularly in the face on a 16.1% drop in trips post 5pm to shopping centres and of -6.3% to retail parks.
- Over the weekend as a whole (Friday to Sunday) online transactions rose by just +2.3%, with this marginal rise indicating that the growth in the event appears to have largely peaked. Footfall declined but only marginally (by just -0.5%), but actually rose in high streets by +1.4%. In high streets there was a marginal uplift in footfall of +0.7% during shopping hours but a noticeable rise of +6.8% post 5pm underlining the increasing importance of leisure based trips to retail destinations.
|Footfall Results – by day||Fri 24 hours||Sat 24 hours||Sun 24 hours||Fri to Sun 24 hours|
|High Street Index||2.8%||1.2%||1.9%||1.4%|
|Retail Park Index||0.8%||-1.3%||-2.3%||-1.8%|
|Shopping Centre Index||1.4%||-4.4%||-4.3%||-3.2%|
|Online transactions (Source: PCA Predict)||6.7%||1.9%||-5.5%||2.3%|
|Footfall results – Fri to Sun||24 hours||9am to 5pm||5pm to midnight|
|High Street Index||1.4%||0.7%||6.8%|
|Retail Park Index||-1.8%||-0.2%||-7.6%|
|Shopping Centre Index||-3.2%||-3.4%||-0.9%|
|Fri 2016 24 hours||Fri 2016 9am to 5pm||Fri 2016 5pm to midnight|
|High Street Index||2.8%||0.6%||6.1%|
|Retail Park Index||0.8%||-0.7%||-8.9%|
|Shopping Centre Index||1.4%||0.7%||6.7%|
|Online transactions (Source: PCA Predict)||6.7%|
|Sat 2016 24 hours||Sat 9am to 5pm||Sat 5pm to midnight|
|High Street Index||1.2%||0.8%||0.8%|
|Retail Park Index||-1.3%||-1.9%||-5.6%|
|Shopping Centre Index||-4.4%||-4.7%||-0.5%|
|Online transactions (Source: PCA Predict)||1.9%|
|Sun 2016 24 hours||Sun 9am to 5pm||Sun 5pm to midnight|
|High Street Index||1.9%||2.4%||8.4%|
|Retail Park Index||-2.3%||-1.8%||-6.3%|
|Shopping Centre Index||-4.3%||-3.4%||-16.1%|
|Online transactions (Source: PCA Predict)||-5.5%|