Union Hand-Roasted, the artisan craft coffee expert, is relaunching its range of premium coffees in Waitrose, Ocado and leading fine food stores following a total rebrand.
The range features 14 speciality coffees from all over the world, hand-roasted by Union and sourced via the Union Direct Trade sourcing principle. Designed to help consumers enjoy coffee-shop quality coffee at home, the extensive collection comprises a variety of single-origin coffees and signature blends in elegant newly redesigned packaging.
Jeremy Torz, co-founder, said: “People are embracing café culture on the high street but we want to make great coffee at home the norm. A recent study we commissioned found that 80% of coffee drinkers drink instant coffee at home and part of the reason for this is the confusion and fear over how to brew and what coffee to buy. Much like wine, the world of speciality coffee can seem a little daunting to the uninitiated, so to help consumers discover their favourite coffee blends or origins, we are including a simple guide in every pack highlighting the distinctive taste profile of each coffee, information on its origins and advice on how best to brew it.”
Union’s packaging has been given a complete rebrand, moving away from the purple foil packs to a premium, hand-crafted look in brown paper bags with copper accents, reflecting the quality of the coffee inside. The new packs communicate more information on the coffee including the roast profile, quality score and tasting notes. All 14 coffees will have a striking shelf presence, aiming to engage with and become part of the shoppers’ mission.
All of the coffees in the range are sourced via Union’s flagship sourcing principle Union Direct Trade, which creates direct, long term partnerships with farmers to improve the quality of both coffee and livelihoods, creating ethical, sustainable coffee with a superior taste. As a result, all of the coffees in the range are made from the highest quality 100% Arabica beans, and score 84 and above on the globally recognised quality scale which measures the standard of coffee. A score of at least 80 is required to be considered ‘speciality’ coffee.
The range includes:
- House Blend (cafetiere ground) – Union’s original house blend, a bold intensity infused with a deep natural sweetness with notes of dried fruit and milk chocolate.
- Natural Spirit (cafetiere ground or wholebean) – a beautiful blend of organically grown coffees, combined to produce a vibrant and zesty taste with notes of toffee fudge and lemon.
- Revelation (espresso ground or wholebean) – Union’s signature coffee, perfectly designed for espresso and enjoyed throughout coffee shops nationwide. It’s a luxurious dark roast, with notes of treacle, dark chocolate and cinnamon.
- Bright Note (wholebean) – this light roast blend is smooth and nutty with hints of milk chocolate, the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
- Decaf – Blend (cafetiere ground) – Decaf, with no compromises. This is one flavourful, characterful cup – a blend of coffees from smallholder farmers in Rwanda and Sumatra, with caffeine removed by natural process without chemicals. It’s indulgent, rich and full-bodied, with hints of dark caramel
- Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia (cafetiere ground) – the winner of a 3-star Great Taste Awards, this intriguing organic coffee has a unique floral aroma with notes of kumquat and peach.
- Maraba, Rwanda (cafetiere ground or wholebean) – this is a fruity and full balanced coffee, with notes of citrus, redcurrant and toffee.
- Bobolink, Brazil (cafetiere ground) – lightly roasted, this is a rich coffee with luxurious notes of macadamia and milk chocolate.
- Liberacion, Guatemala (cafetiere ground) – this medium roast coffee is rich and full bodied, with notes of dark chocolate and red grape.
- Timana, Colombia (cafetiere ground) – new to Union Coffee, this medium roast is a fruity treat with notes of plum, orange blossom and maple syrup.
- Gajah Mountain, Sumatra (wholebean) – this dark roast has notes of dark chocolate and treacle for an intensely rich experience.
The new range goes on shelf in Waitrose from the beginning of November, with an RRP of £4.90 to £5.50 for a 200g pack.