Set the alarm clocks, get the mince pies ready and put your feet up, because Joules, the premium British lifestyle brand is making this Christmas one to remember, joining forces with one of the nation’s most iconic duos – created by the multi-award-winning animation studio Aardman – Wallace & Gromit.
Wallace & Gromit and Joules both celebrate their milestone 30th year in 2019. To mark this special occasion, they’ve partnered up for an original Christmas campaign guaranteed to put a smile on your face… Wallace, in his true inventive style, brings Christmas to West Wallaby Street all at ‘the click of a button’. Joules festive products decorate the living room and there’s no escape for Wallace’s loyal side-kick, Gromit, who becomes the pièce de résistance as the fairy crowing the top of the Christmas tree!
A selection of Joules best-sellers and most loved products were recreated in miniature by Aardman’s talented model makers to take pride of place in the scene. You should be able to spot the classic ‘Crown Joules’ boxer shorts on the fireplace and renowned wellington boots, sported in great style by Gromit himself.
Tom Joule, founder of Joules comments: “With Wallace & Gromit and Joules both celebrating our 30th birthdays, it was an easy decision to spend Christmas together. We’re delighted to have such British icons wear Joules and star in our Christmas advert and hope it will bring a little festive cheer to all of those who watch it. We’ve got a superb range of both classic and festive clothing and homeware gifts for all the family – including for Gromit and all of our canine chums.”
In the 30 years since Wallace & Gromit first graced our screens, the duo have become synonymous with Christmas, as a regular highlight of the primetime TV schedules during the festive season. The bespoke Joules x Wallace & Gromit advert has been directed by Aardman’s Merlin Crossingham, creative director of Wallace & Gromit in the traditional time-honoured method of stop-motion animation.
Merlin Crossingham comments: “Wallace and Gromit have had a ball getting ready for Christmas with Joules. After mince pies in front of a roaring fire there is nothing better than a Christmas jumper to get you in the mood for the festive season. And to top it off it was easy for Wallace and Gromit to sort out all their Christmas gifts thanks to Joules.”
10 fun facts about the advert…
- It took two weeks to make sure that the Wallace & Gromit puppets were looking camera ready and to create their Joules outfits.
- Animators need a whole day to create 2-3 seconds of footage.
- The entire advert took 15 days with one animator to shoot.
- The finished advert is comprised of a whopping 679 frames of animation.
- Gromit’s skirt in the advert is made from the exact material used in the real skirt available to buy from Joules
- The Christmas baubles on the tree are made from wooden beads, all of which were intricately painted by hand.
- There are 55 spots on each of Gromit’s wellies and they also have the Joules trademark yellow stripe down the back – every detail was captured.
- The wrapping paper used on the presents was created using an exact replica of the Joules Christmas print.
- All of the Joules products in the animation are based on real products that you can get your hands on this Christmas.
- One of the Christmas cards on Wallace’s fireplace is from Nick Park wishing Wallace and Gromit a Merry Christmas!
Christmas at the ‘click of a button’ has never been easier with the recent launch of ‘Friends of Joules’ – Joules is partnering with hundreds of creative businesses to bring its country-loving customers a premium online marketplace that hosts an abundance of carefully selected products.