Today, Westfield reveals 14.1 million shoppers visited Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City over the Christmas period in 2017, with an overall 1% increase on 2016.
Westfield experienced three-peak trading periods last year:
- Black Friday signals the new start to Christmas shopping and has transformed from a one-day event to a three-day shopping weekend with more than850,000 shoppers visiting Westfield centres for the Black Friday sales weekend.
- The ‘Super Weekend’ (the last weekend before Christmas) was the second peak period with retailers having the benefit of a full weekend of trading before Christmas day with more than 800,000 visitors across centres bringing the pre-Christmas week trade to 1.85m.
- The Boxing Day sales period is the third peak and continues to prove strong with more than 320,000 visitors.
Whilst many people are choosing to shop online before Christmas and for post-Christmas sales, the demand for in store experience and being part of the festive atmosphere means shoppers still flock to physical stores.
Myf Ryan, chief marketing officer, Westfield UK and Europe, says “Westfield continues to be a leading UK destination by offering the best mix of retail, dining, events, leisure and entertainment. Over the Christmas period, we offered many unique and immersive experiences to our customers. With over 70 million visitors coming to the centres each year, we are looking forward to creating even more exciting experiences and activities for our customers to enjoy in 2018.”
Over the festive period Westfield created and hosted some of the most unique and inspiring immersive experiences for visitors to enjoy, including:
- Gwen Stefani officially switched on the Westfield London Christmas lights with a special festive performance
- For an experience with a difference at Christmas, Westfield London launched first to the UK ground-breaking technology Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire hyper reality experience
- Westfield London also hosted Style Trial – a pop-up festive rental designer fashion boutique where shoppers could hire their Christmas party outfits
- Ferrero Rocher created a festive multi-sensory tasting experience
- Chill Lounge pop-up ice bar
- The Wish Factory – a magical Santa’s Grotto for adults
- Immersive Christmas Grotto experience for kids