Argos claims to be bringing the fun back into Christmas gift shopping this year with the launch of the first ever interactive Digital Gift Guide of its kind. The new guide allows shoppers to search for gifts, create lists for friends and family on Facebook, and gain inspiration from personality inspired and themed gift categories.
The guide is available at argos.co.uk/giftguide and claims to brings a totally new experience to Christmas shopping, allowing customers to explore gifts and be inspired by more than 3,500 present ideas from the must-have top toys and hottest sound systems, to the latest fashion watches. Rather than searching just by items, shoppers can now also explore by personality types or by themes they are interested in – meaning that no matter who they are looking for, they will always find the perfect present, the retailer claims.
Users simply input their postcode to open up a never ending screen of gifts and specially curated present lists. Shoppers can also sign in via their Facebook account in order to save their lists to a certain person.
Key features of the digital guide include:
- Themed collections – know the person but can’t pinpoint the present? Then be inspired by the 29 ready-made gift categories containing ideas for everyone from Couch Potatoes to Adventurers to A Wannabe James Bond. Or choose quirky themes such as Gifts Parents Won’t Understand
- Gift Finder – if you’re not sure where to begin then this special function will throw up ideas and suggestions simply by clicking on ‘This or That’ images, which depict the recipient’s hobbies, preferences or personality
- Fun facts – bring the fun back into festive shopping by taking a look at the quirky Christmas-related facts interspersed throughout the guide. There are loads of fun facts such as ‘the world’s largest cracker’ which was three metres wide to ‘Santa’s postcode’
- Facebook integration – keep the lists that you’ve prepared for family and friends by storing them on Facebook. Lists are hidden away from public view so you can enjoy the surprise on the recipient’s face on Christmas Day
- Live stock information – don’t miss out on your chosen gifts by checking whether your preferred items are available for immediate collection at your local store
- Money saving deals – shop safe in the knowledge that you are always getting the best deals possible as the guide is automatically updated with the latest in store and online offers
- Email ready – not on Facebook? Don’t worry, once you have created your list, you can keep it safe or share with friends by using the dedicated email function
- Check out – congratulations, you’ve made your selections! Now all it takes is a few clicks and you can purchase your items via argos.co.uk.
Bertrand Bodson, digital director at Argos, said: “Our digital gift guide marks a significant departure from the traditional Argos catalogue and offers online shoppers the opportunity to explore and discover a huge range of gifts in a whole new way that’s never been done before.
“Customers using the guide can immerse themselves in a world of gift inspiration using our never ending screen of ideas; they can build lists for their loved ones and purchase presents in just a few clicks.
“We have worked really closely with digital advertising agency Razorfish to make sure that the user experience is fun, unique and playful. We hope curated categories such as ‘Gifts Parents Won’t Understand’ and gifts for ‘Couch Potatoes’ will raise a smile from customers. And the addition of fun facts means users can take away quirky Christmas trivia as well as great gifts. My favourite category is gifts ‘For The Wannabe James Bond’; I can spend hours looking through all the gifts that are on offer.
“As we all know Christmas can be an expensive time of year so we’ve made sure the guide is automatically updated with our latest offers. No matter whether you are shopping in store or online, you can be safe in the knowledge that you are getting the best price.”
Chris Mellish, CEO of Razorfish, the award-winning digital advertising agency, said: “We’re really excited to play a role in Argos’s digital transformation. The traditional catalogue is a British icon so it was really important that online guide provoked the same feelings of excitement and joy.
“The brief was to create a place online where consumers could not only explore gifts but create their own lists, link with their social platforms and gain inspiration from pre-selected gift categories. To answer this, we worked closely with Argos to develop a platform that could be tailored to where customers are shopping – from their location to their Facebook profile. These details allowed us to build a fun and interactive Gift Guide that brings to life shopping, makes intelligent gift suggestions based upon specific data and will leave shoppers smiling.”
Alongside the Digital Gift Guide, customers can also access a paper version at Argos stores up and down the country. This year for the first time, the paper guide has been ‘Blippar-enabled’ – customers simply download the Blippar app onto their smartphone or tablet and Blipp images with a special icon in the guide to reveal exciting videos, games and competitions. The Digital Gift Guide will be supported by an integrated advertising campaign developed by CHI & Partners, where customers have the opportunity to suggest their own gift ideas for Santa himself by tweeting #giftforsanta.
Jonathan Burley, the executive creative director at CHI & Partners, said: “The advertising campaign offers an opportunity for customers to get inspiration digitally through the gift guide and for Argos to then genuinely interact with suggested gift ideas in a charming and innovative way by inviting suggestions for Santa’s present list through Twitter.”