Danone UK & Ireland’s Specialised Nutrition business, whose brands include Nutricia, Aptamil and Cow & Gate, announces its certification as a B Corp today. This achievement marks the certification of all Danone’s operations in the UK & Ireland, building on the accreditation of its other UK & Ireland businesses over the past five years.
Today, of the top 10 branded food and healthcare manufacturers in UK and Ireland retail, Danone is the first and only one to have all its operations B Corp certified.
B Corp certified businesses are verified by B Lab to meet high standards of social and environmental performance and public transparency – with a proven commitment to balance profit and purpose.Danone UK and Ireland has a long history of using business as a force for good and its mission ‘We Nourish Life’, summarises its commitment to better health through better nutrition for people of all ages.
Danone’s Specialised Nutrition business, the latest to be certified, leads the market in the UK and Ireland with products for specific nutritional needs at all stages of life – including babies, young children and for special medical purposes.
James Mayer, president for Danone UK & Ireland, said: “Danone has been inspiring healthy habits that nourish life for over a century, so the B Corp philosophy directly aligns with our own purpose and vision for sustainable growth. The accreditation of our Specialised Nutrition business is a key milestone for us – meaning that all our UK & Ireland operations are now certified.
There has never been a more critical time for greater action from responsible businesses. And more than ever, people want to buy from, work for, invest in and partner with businesses they trust to make a positive impact. Being part of the B Corp movement helps to accelerate collective progress to tackle the social and environmental issues we face. As one of the largest B Corps in the UK and Ireland, we will continue to do more to meet the needs of people and the planet.”
B Corp Certification requires businesses to assess their practices across five impact areas: governance, workers, environment, community and customers. The assessment of Specialised Nutrition recognised its progressive environmental and social practices, resulting in a score of 90.2 across all operations, including manufacturing.
Actions that contributed to its certification include:
– Its Wexford facility in Ireland is the first baby formula production site in the world to be certified carbon neutral by The Carbon Trust. Powered by 100% renewable energy and operating with zero waste to landfill, the Wexford site’s actions have resulted in a 70% reduction in its direct carbon footprint since 2010, even while doubling its production volumes.
– Danone UK & Ireland is a founding member of WRAP’s UK Plastics Pact, committed to ensuring 100% of its packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.
– The Nutricia brand provides professional support and reassurance to nearly 29,000 tube-fed patients, their families, and carers across the UK through its Nutricia Homeward Nursing Team. Despite the challenges posed by Covid-19, the team adapted to continue to serve the needs of patients and communities.
– Danone offers all employees shares in the business, and employees across the UK and Ireland are given unlimited volunteering time to give back to the community. Employees spent 1400 hours volunteering in 2020, largely through a ‘remote volunteering’ offer launched during the pandemic.
– Across Danone UK & Ireland, employees have been helping to get critical support to people during the pandemic – including providing over £1.6m in financial and product donations and getting thousands of nutritious meals to families in need.
Gustavo Hildenbrand, senior vice president of specialised nutrition for Danone UK & Ireland, said: “Despite ongoing challenges throughout the pandemic, we have pushed ourselves to go further for our patients and consumers. We’re incredibly proud to have this recognised through B Corp certification – the culmination of a lot of hard work by employees across all levels.
Our factories becoming B Corp certified is a significant achievement – and one we hope will inspire other companies and manufacturing sites to engage with the B Corp values and join the community of like-minded businesses.”
Chris Turner, executive director at B Lab UK, said: “It’s fantastic to witness the accelerating growth of the B Corp Community, both in the UK and around the world. Danone plays an integral part in the B Corp Movement – influencing the global drive for an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economy. Danone Specialised Nutrition’s B Corp Certification is an important step on its global B Corp journey and we’re looking forward to Danone’s continued collaboration with our community of over 600 B Corps in the UK and 4,000 B Corps around the world.”