For the first time in its history, the RHS Chelsea Flower Show went virtual this May, due to the physical show being cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As coverage on the virtual show bloomed throughout the week, the UK’s largest price and product comparison site has reported a huge spike in gardening-related searches.
PriceRunner has seen a surge in Brits shopping online for gardening tools and equipment, with data indicating the virtual show has motivated the nation to get mowing, sowing and growing.
Usually taking place in the grounds of Royal Chelsea Hospital, the event was moved online for 2020, with exclusive virtual gardening tours and demonstrations. Hundreds of exhibitors, designers, and TV gardening icons all helped to bring the magic of the show to life – from the likes of Monty Don to Alan Titchmarsh.
According to the latest figures, 88% of UK households* having access to private outdoor space, and for many these have become a vital haven during lockdown. Soaring searches indicate that the virtual show has spurred many of us into action to make the most of our gardens.
Preparing for some garden DIY…1718% search increase for garden power tools
- With many of us juggling cleaning, cooking, home-schooling and working from home, limited time constraints could be the reason behind the 2668% increase for Robotic Lawnmowers. PriceRunner UK has seen the highest growth in this category and it is the top 3 fastest growing – it would seem that the benefits of modern technology aren’t just having an impact on our favourite gardening show.
- As the warmer weather returns, searches signify we are looking to get gardens looking their best. There was an increase of 6916% for searches of Pressure Washers from 18th -24th May, six times more than the YoY increase the month before. Searches for garden power tools increased by 1718% – indicating even more of us are attempting to do-it-ourselves to improve outside spaces.
- Expert stylists, including the likes of acclaimed garden stylist and author Selina Lake, shared advice throughout the week on transforming gardens using accessories to quickly refresh a blank backdrop. Garden accessories was one of the top categories that saw huge growth compared to the same time last year, with 20 times search increase, 21 times more than the YoY growth the previous month.
- In the quest to get gardens looking Pinterest worthy, demand for outdoor paint is growing fast. One popular brand of less mess fence paint has seen an 8475% YoY search increase, up 5167% for the same brands decking wood stain.
- Whilst many of us are turning our attention to the garden, data shows that enjoying our outdoor space is a high priority. Hot tubs feature in 2 of the top 20 products searches, they are the no.1 category click out (where visitors go on to purchase via the retailer website) and have seen a massive 100 times search increase as a category compared to the same period in 2019.
Consumer expert for PriceRunner UK, Anna Lavfors said: “The celebration of all things gardening at RHS Chelsea Flower Show is a key calendar event for gardeners, not just in the UK, but around the world. As this years’ show moved to a virtual platform, exclusive footage has been shared of gardens at home, rather than show gardens, filling our screens with, perhaps, more achievable colour and inspiration.
Since lockdown began, many of us have spent a lot more time at home than we usually do this time of year. That means being confined to your house, even during evenings and weekends. It seems that has led to many rediscovering their garden, patio, or balcony.
What we can see is that right now, many are seizing the moment to make the most of gardens. As virtual Chelsea became the talking point of the week it acted as further inspiration, so we are not surprised that the interest in gardening is increasing even more.
Inspired by designers and celebrity gardeners, sprucing up outdoor spaces has become a key focus. With more time to spare, it would seem that Brits are doing their research and spending time browsing for the best product and deal to help keep gardens looking their best with trusted buys.
We are seeing a common trend in the products visitors are searching for, with a combination of three interesting factors, including – the return of good weather, the corona-effect of us being at home more than we typically are in normal circumstances and lastly, that we have time to spare. Growing vegetables, planting flowers and tending to your garden isn’t just about improving the outdoor environment, it can act as a time-consuming hobby as well.”
The go to independent price comparison website helps millions of visitors find the best products at the best prices, with hundreds of leading brands and retailers featured and deals and promotions updated daily. On average, shoppers can save 30 to 40% just by comparing prices and choosing the cheapest retailer.
With all you need to get your garden looking its best, visit pricerunner.com to browse over 1.6 million products from 4,000 retailers.