Clearpay has found that as consumers have continued to wear masks, they have steered away from make-up and drawn their attention to hair care and fragrance. The data drawn covers brands including MAC, Look Fantastic, Estee Lauder, Current Body and Glossier, to name a few.
Clearpay’s bi-annual trend report, found that there was a huge spike in sales for hair products during AW20, with shoppers being more experimental and taking a more ‘dressed up’ approach to hair as they continued to cover their faces. It is clear consumers have also been using hair products to upskill and experiment with beauty at home.
Clearpay’s top search term during the Black Friday sales and Christmas period was ‘perfume’, indicating that shoppers have been using scent as a form of comfort and expression during these tough months. Fragrance was also the second best selling product through Clearpay during the Christmas period.
The top 10 most popular fragrances were (September – End of December):
- ● Paco Rabanne Lady Million
- ● Paco Rabanne Olympea
- ● Givenchy L’Interdit
- ● Yves Saint Laurent Libre
- ● Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium
- ● Emporio Armani Diamonds
- ● Emporio Armani She
- ● Gucci Rush
- ● Bvlgari Omnia Coral
- ● Jean Paul Gaultier Classique
The top five fragrances purchased during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales were:
- Jimmy Choo Flash Eau de Parfum 60ml, LookFantastic
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Eau de Parfum 30ml, LookFantastic
- Carolina Herrera Good Girl Eau de Parfum 30ml, LookFantastic
- Yves Saint laurent Libre Eau de Parfum 30ml, LookFantastic
- Pomegranate Noir Cologne, Jo Malone
Psychologist Shakaila Forbes-Bell says: “Traumatic events can cause us to engage in nostalgia where we transport ourselves to fonder times. A phenomenon known as the Proustian Memory Effect reveals that scents evoke more emotional memories than other memory cues. Studies show that people remember 35% of what they smell, but only 5% of what they see. Perfume being the most searched beauty term on Clearpay suggests that people have been relying on scents to transport them to happier times.
“The power of scents to alter and lift our mood has seen consumers using buy now pay later services like Clearpay to help them invest in high-quality fragrances. These fragrances allow consumers to experience the full force of their psychological impact. People should take great care with their fragrance purchases, paying particular attention to the heart and base notes which tend to linger throughout the day and have a greater impact on our mood.”
The top 10 hair products from November and December were:
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector 100ml
- Olaplex Holiday Hair Fix (Worth £78.00)
- Olaplex Shampoo and Conditioner Bundle
- Olaplex no.0 Bond Builder 155ml
- Olaplex no.7 Bonding Oil 30ml
- SHEIN 12th Anniversary Ombre Hair Comb
- Ghd Original Styler (IV Styler)
- Beauty Works x Molly Mae Waver Limited Edition
- Olaplex No.6 Bond Smoother 100ml 10. Olaplex Hero Bundle
Forbes-Bell says: Hair has a transformative and uplifting impact on consumers. After a life in lockdown and the closure of salons, where skincare regimes took precedence, consumers are looking at reviving their hair – and are able to spend more time doing their research on products.