Borderfree, a market leader in global cross-border e-commerce for major retailers, has released its Canada Country Report, identifying Canada as a top target for retailers looking to initiate or increase cross-border sales.
The Canada Report is the latest report from the Borderfree Index (BFI), a series of global intelligence reports that profile promising cross-border markets and global consumer e-commerce behaviour. Please see the report highlights below and further information on Borderfree.
The Canada report reveals:
- The vast majority of Canadian cross-border online shoppers are women (85%), at a median age of 41.7 years
- Canadians who shopped with retailers on the Borderfree platform spent an average of $136 US dollars (USD) each last year
- Canadians are night owl shoppers, spending big around 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. and peaking between 11:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m., especially on Friday nights where spending takes a major spike up at 11:00 p.m.
Additional data compiled in Borderfree’s report show Canadians are connected and ready to spend:
- 79% of the population uses the internet
- Retail ecommerce sales in Canada reached $21.6bn in 2013 and are expected to rise to $42.7bn by 2018, an annual growth rate of 12%
- 45% of Canadian online shopping goes to US and international sites (a third to the US), with average annual purchasing approaching nearly $1,100 per shopper