The Fragrance Shop has enjoyed a bumper Christmas period driven by online performance, helping more customers “Spray A Little Happiness” than ever before.
The UK’s largest independent fragrance retailer saw overall sales rise 38 per cent in the six weeks to 1st January 2022, compared to the same period in 2019.
This record sales performance saw some key new fragrance launches which proved popular with customers, including Dior’s Miss Dior, Gucci Flora and Paco Rabanne Phantom.
Investment in its digital platform over the past two years is paying off for the company which has transformed itself into a “phygital” retailer, with a high-growth digital business complementing its physical high street network.
In addition, The Fragrance Shop opened 16 new stores in the year, taking its total footprint to 214 store locations nationwide.
CEO Sanjay Vadera is looking forward to further expansion.
“Stores will always play a big role, offering expertise and a sensory experience that’s complementary to our online offer.
“But there’s no doubt our performance is powered by the investments we’ve made in digital as our customers choose how and when they shop with us on their terms.
“That’s why we’ve been bringing the in-store experience online. In addition to our e-commerce website that allows customers to virtually ‘match’ with their favourite scent and speak to one of our fragrance experts in real time, we’re also connecting with our customers in new and exciting ways.
“Last year we launched our My TFS membership programme, where subscribers receive benefits such as free delivery and exclusive discounts, and we’re delighted with progress.
“And our third quarter was a huge milestone for us – as well as being one of the first fragrance brands to partner with TikTok for live-selling, we launched TFS Live, our exclusive live shopping channel, which goes from strength to strength.
“Across the 18 shows we’ve done since September 2021, we’ve featured special guests from brand experts to influencers and celebrities – with much more in the pipeline for 2022.
“This year will be a pivotal year for The Fragrance Shop – we’re looking forward to new product launches, hosting new events, more TFS Live shows, and moving into our brand-new, bespoke headquarters and fulfilment centre.”
- Online sales have benefited from investment in digital and a strong focus on customer service and convenience
- MyTFS members can access significant benefits including 20 per cent off vouchers, free express delivery and other special offers. The three-tiered scheme offers benefits from as little as £15 per year.
- Extensions to customer payment and fulfilment options and the ability to fulfil orders from store stock helped underpin the growth.
- During 2021, The Fragrance Shop launched its own new live shopping channel called TFS Live (https://www.thefragranceshop.co.uk/tfs-live) where customers can meet its fragrance experts and beauty pros in live sessions.
- It also became one of the first fragrance retailers to partner with TikTok.
Shops still have important role…
- Buying fragrance is a sensory experience so customers still love shopping in store.
- Sixteen new shops opened in 2021 taking the total to 214.
- The Fragrance Shop believes it has a strong opportunity to accelerate its store opening programme in 2022 as landlords agree to new arrangements under turnover-based rental agreements.
New HQ and fulfilment centre
In Summer 2022, The Fragrance Shop has confirmed it will move from its current headquarters in Acheson Way, Manchester, to a new bespoke central office and fulfilment centre at Metro 190 in Trafford Park, Manchester.
At more than 190,000 square feet, the new site is five times bigger than its existing premises and includes warehousing and state-of-the-art office space. The scheme has been developed by Legal & General’s Industrial Property Investment Fund (IPIF) and logistics and industrial property developer PLP.