London-based Presto Coffee is delighted to have been recognised as a certified B Corporation, one of only a handful of British coffee producers to date, achieving a fantastic 92.3 B Impact Score.
Following a thorough submission process, the ethical coffee startup, which prides itself on creating consciously uncomplicated coffee, was awarded B Corp status after meeting the highest standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency.
To be a B Corp, a firm must legally consider the impact their decisions have on workers, customers, suppliers, community and the environment by using business in a positive way and outside of shareholder profit.
“After over a year of intense work and rigorous examination we are excited to be officially part of a global movement of leaders using business as a force for good, working together to create a more inclusive and sustainable economy. Being recognised as a certified B Corp business is validation that the transparent, sustainable business we’ve been working so hard to create has been worthwhile. I firmly believe in the power of the B Corp movement to bring businesses together to address and resolve some of society’s biggest challenges,” says James Hagerty, Presto’s founder.
Chris Turner, executive director of B Lab UK, says: “Being able to welcome Presto to the B Corp community is hugely exciting. As a fledgling business and challenger brand, their commitment to doing business differently will be an inspiration to other startups and really help spread the idea that we can redefine success to be as much about people and planet as it is about profit.”
Hagerty continues: “At every stage of our product lifecycle, from the coffee farmers we work with around the world, through to how our end customer consumes and disposes of our products, we’re working hard to not only minimise overall carbon emissions and waste from our processes, but to go further, constantly innovating to offset through charitable, workforce and supplier initiatives.”
Ethics and sustainability are part of Presto’s DNA. Since its founding in 2018, the company has been on a mission to shake up the coffee industry, which founder, James Hagerty, felt had become overly complex and which was tracking behind in terms of ecological commitments.
Actions that contributed to its B Corp certification include:
1) Presto coffee beans are air roasted (in the UK’s most sustainable roastery) instead of drum roasted to minimse waste heat and carbon emissions. Air roasting uses a third less energy comparatively yet only 1% of all the world’s coffee brands are air roasted. Air roasting isn’t only good for the environment, the recirculatory system allows for a more consistent flavour with each and every batch.
2) The company holds a deep-rooted relationship with every one of its coffee farmer, working with respected organisations like the Rainforest Alliance to ensure they are paid the best possible price and given the best possible training to educate them on climate-smart, regenerative growing practices that boost both yields and income
3) Every Presto product now has 100% kerbside recyclable packaging, making it as easy as possible for customers to do their bit for the environment.
4) In 2021 Presto began partnering with 1% for the Planet, an international organisation whose members contribute at least one percent of their annual sales to environmental causes.
5) The brand also partners with Ecologi, Trees For Cities and Taking Root. At every stage of Presto’s product lifecycle, it is working to not only minimise overall carbon emissions and waste from its processes, but to go further by offsetting through charitable, workforce and supplier initiatives.
As a result, Presto offers a simple, perfectly formed collection of delicious gourmet coffee – for every kind of coffee drinker – that’s both people and planet friendly.
Like many businesses, Presto has faced new and substantial challenges during the last year, navigating both the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on its staff, consumers, and broader business, and adjusting its operations following the UK’s exit from the EU. Despite these challenges, Presto remains deeply committed to its environmental and societal responsibilities, placing climate action and social purpose at the heart of its business.
With its new B Corp status, Presto confirms its commitment to reaching its established targets for sustainability to create durable and shared value. And the company will continue to further raise the bar: it is currently investigating game-changing methods to repurpose its coffee waste.
In 2022, Presto will also continue supporting 1% For The Planet, an international organisation whose members contribute at least one percent of their annual sales to environmental causes as well as nurturing its longstanding alliances with Ecologi, Trees For Cities and Taking Root.
Presto’s B Impact Report can be viewed here: https://bcorporation.net/directory/presto-coffee-roasters