Regent Street’s David Shaw receives OBE in New Year’s Honours

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail
The Crown Estate: recognition for Shaw

The Crown Estate: recognition for Shaw

David Shaw, who has been leading The Crown Estate’s 21st Century regeneration of Regent Street over the last decade, has been awarded an OBE in the 2014 New Year’s Honours for services to the retail industry. The award also recognises his voluntary work, which has particularly focused on music charity, the Orpheus Foundation.

As head of the Regent Street portfolio at The Crown Estate, Shaw has been delivering a £1bn regeneration programme since 2002, a key part of which has involved transforming the Street into one of the world’s leading retail destinations.

The Street now boasts a retail line-up which includes many of the world’s top brands, a number of which have chosen to open international flagship stores or launch entirely new global concepts on Regent Street. 

Apple, J Crew and Banana Republic all opened their first stores outside of the USA on Regent Street with & Other Stories and Cos selecting the Street to open their first stores worldwide. Regent Street is also home to the largest Burberry store in the world.

In addition, the OBE recognises Shaw’s voluntary work, especially his role as chairman of the Orpheus Foundation, a charity which aims to help young musicians make the transition from music school to professional careers. Last year the Foundation presented some 15 concerts and recitals, principally at St George’s Church, Hanover Square, and St James’s Church, Piccadilly, and has just launched its first CD.

Shaw said: “This award is a great honour and particularly delights me for the recognition it gives to the wonderful work done by all those working on the Regent Street regeneration and at the Orpheus Foundation.”

The Crown Estate owns the £3bn Regent Street portfolio with Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM), with The Crown Estate managing the portfolio on behalf of the partnership. The Crown Estate holds a 75% interest in Regent Street with NBIM holding the remaining 25%.