Scandit, developer of leading software-based barcode scanning solutions for smartphones, tablets and wearable devices, has unveiled a new self-scanning solution designed to make next-generation mobile shopping easy and accessible to consumers while driving revenue and reducing costs for retailers. The new integrated solution, a part of its Mobile App Suite for Retail, features the company’s patented software-based barcode scanner, which is currently being utilised within successful self-scanning applications for global retailers including Coop, Ahold, Homeplus (Tesco) and more.
“In 1989, Marty McFly gave us a glimpse into what 2015 might look like in the movie ‘Back to the Future’, complete with incredible innovations like video calling, which now is a reality that makes our lives easier and more enjoyable. Unfortunately, some things—like pushing around a shopping trolley or queueing in a shop to pay for our goods—haven’t changed much at all over the past twenty-six years. That’s all about to change,” said Samuel Mueller, CEO of Scandit.
“We’re kicking off 2015 by unveiling a next-generation technology that retailers can harness to offer consumers a truly futuristic shopping experience. From virtual shopping—in which consumers scan items on billboard ads and add them to virtual baskets for future home delivery—to effortless checkout at retailers in which no kiosk or cashier is needed, and more, Scandit is powering the next wave in mobile consumer shopping while reducing overheads for retailers worldwide.”
The new solution empowers consumers on mobile devices to quickly and easily scan products as they shop and add them to virtual baskets or lists, review detailed product information, access their purchase history, receive deals and offers whilst shopping, and utilise new payment solutions like ApplePay to speed through checkout without ever utilising a kiosk, and much more.
Scandit self-scanning technology also benefits retailers in a number of ways by enabling them to:
- Offer customers a futuristic new shopping and checkout experience. Let your customers take control of their shopping experience by empowering them to scan items as they shop and effortlessly check out, resulting in shorter queues and fewer abandoned items
- Unlock retail space and drastically reduce costs. Scandit’s self-checkout app allows retailers to reduce the number of traditional checkout stations required, reducing operational costs. With fewer traditional checkout stations, retailers can reserve valuable front-of-store real estate for product showcases
- Push offers to increase customer basket size. Pushing coupons and deals to customers as they shop— especially when focusing on previous purchase history— increases the likelihood of new and repeat revenue
- Gain intelligence from real-time analytics. Retailers are able to make more strategic business decisions based on clear, real-time consumer behaviour data
- Seamlessly integrate with mobile apps and IT infrastructure. The Scandit mobile app template and source code can be effortlessly customised for branding, messaging, and user experience while mobile frameworks and enterprise-grade backend services connect seamlessly to existing IT infrastructure