Shopify announces record global Black Friday sales of $2.4 billion

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Shopify Inc. a leading global commerce company, announced record-setting Black Friday sales of $2.4 billion from the independent and direct-to-consumer brands on the platform worldwide.

On November 27, from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Black Friday in California, Shopify-powered businesses saw a 75% increase in sales from Black Friday in 2019. In fact, by 8:00am EST, merchants on Shopify collectively had crossed $1 billion in sales.  

“We’re thrilled with the Black Friday sales generated by the businesses on Shopify. In just a single day, merchants around the world produced more than 80% of the sales of the entire holiday shopping weekend last year,” said Harley Finkelstein, president of Shopify. “With more consumers than ever shopping online this year, we anticipate this weekend being one of the biggest eccommerce events in history, as consumers vote with their wallets and support the independent and direct-to-consumer businesses they love.”  

Highlights from Shopify merchants in the UK:

  • 10:00 AM GMT: peak sales hour in the UK
  • Top selling cities: London, with Manchester and Solihull following
  • £58.89: average cart price in the UK vs. £53.03 in 2019
  • 67%: sales being made on mobile, with the remaining 33% being made on desktop
  • Apparel & Accessories: top product category

2020 Black Friday Global Highlights

  • $2.4 billion in Black Friday sales globally, a 75% growth in sales from last year
  • New York, London, and Los Angeles were the top-selling cities worldwide on Black Friday, with top-selling countries including US, UK, and Canada
  • Mobile sales on Black Friday were 67% compared to 33% of sales made on desktop. In 2019, 69% of Black Friday sales were made on mobile and 31% on desktop
  • Top product categories globally during Black Friday were apparel and accessories with health and beauty and home and garden following
  • Average Black Friday cart price globally was $90.70, an increase of 11% from last year
  • 14% cross-border orders placed on the platform on Black Friday
  • 20,000+ tonnes of carbon emissions offset from the delivery of every order placed on Shopify’s platform on Black Friday