Trio of online retailers add Pennies, the electronic charity box, to their websites

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Pennies: expanding online

Pennies: expanding online

Three new online retailers have added Pennies, the electronic charity box, to their websites. 

Now customers of Party Pieces, BuySpares and Contact Lenses Express are able to donate their ‘spare change’ to charity when making purchases online. 

Charities benefiting from the money raised include Birmingham based John Taylor Hospice, RNIB and the Rainbow Trust Children’s Charity. These retailer nominated charities receive 75% of donations with the remaining 25% shared amongst other UK charities, including Shelter, Together for Short Lives and the Children’s Burns Trust. Pennies is now supporting a total of 28 different charities.

Alison Hutchinson, CEO of The Pennies Foundation, said: “We’re thrilled these new retailers are joining the Pennies movement and demonstrating how simple and quick Pennies is to introduce in an online environment. Customer donations are already adding up, providing much needed funds for charity and ultimately making a huge difference to people’s lives.”

The new retailers are in good company, said Pennies. Its other national partners  include Domino’s Pizza, Zizzi restaurants and The Entertainer toy shop chain. 

Since launching, 10 national retailers and many smaller merchants have implemented Pennies, allowing customers to give quickly, securely, privately and conveniently, the company said. The consumer response has been very positive with more than £435,000 being raised from over 1.7m individual donations. 

Breaking new ground, Pennies describes itself is a new channel for an old habit – dropping a few coins into a charity box on a shop counter – brought up to date to give consumers the choice to donate a few extra pennies when they pay by card.

Retailers can now switch on the Pennies technology in stores, ranging from high street chains to corner shops, as well as for online and mobile purchases.

According to Pennies, if every one of the 43m cardholders in the UK gave once a month at an average of 30p (equivalent to a penny a day), it would raise more than £150m a year.