The UK’s premium shopping centres – Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City – will be celebrating the Chinese New Year in 2020 with a range of limited-edition collections, bespoke product ranges, free gifts and exclusive offers for Chinese shoppers.
High-end retailers including leading beauty brands Rituals, MAC, NARS, Dermalogica and Rabot 1745 Beauty, famous for its natural cocoa-inspired beauty products, are all taking part in the campaign. Others include premium American denim brand 7 For All Mankind along with handbag, accessories and clothing connoisseur Kate Spade New York. Further exclusive packages are available at the Natura Bissé Spa, located in the luxury precinct called The Village at Westfield London, Europe’s largest shopping centre in west London.
The exclusive offers, announced on the shopping centres’ official Weibo and WeChat accounts, include a limited-edition Tom and Jerry x Kate Spade New York collaboration and a special Chinese New Year Diamond Cocoon Value Set by the Natura Bissé Spa. There is also an exclusive CNY lip kit box from MAC – not available in China and representing a saving of £45 – and a limited-edition collection by NARS which is inspired by beauty and good fortune, in glossy-red packaging etched in gold, featuring Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder and Afterglow Lip Balm.
The news comes as London prepares for an influx of big-spending Chinese tourists in the year of the Rat, with preparations beginning as early as 17 January for the official Chinese New Year celebrations from 25 January to 4 February 2020. Both Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City are global tourist destinations in their own right. Close to 20% of shoppers across both centres are tourists, with China the number one tourist country.
Myf Ryan, CMO Europe and group director of brand and strategic marketing for Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield, which owns the flagship London shopping centres, says: “China remains the largest international market in terms of spend across both Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City, particularly in terms of premium sales. We’re pleased that we’ve been able to work with some of our high-end retailers to offer these limited-edition products and exclusive deals and know they’ll prove popular with the surge in Chinese shoppers that we’re expecting to visit London and our centres for the Chinese New Year.”
Westfield centres in London also offer a variety of guest services to make life easier for Chinese tourists, including a Mandarin speaking concierge. There is also a Hands-free Shopping Passport; anyone who registers for this at one of the Guest Services desks can show it whenever they make a purchase and, while they continue shopping, a member of the Guest Services team will take their bags. These can then be collected at the end of their visit from a secure, centralised checkout.
At Westfield London, there is also a Hotel Delivery Service, meaning shopping can be delivered direct to a visitor’s hotel, and Tax Free Shopping – with visitors living outside the EU entitled to a VAT refund (20%) on goods bought in stores participating in the Tax Free scheme.
The special offers in the Chinese New Year campaign are:
- Rituals (Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City) – the luxury home, bath and body cosmetics brand is offering an exclusive red envelope giving shoppers £5 off when they spend £45 or more between 26 January and 20 February 2020.
- MAC (Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City) – will be creating an exclusive CNY lip kit box which includes three lipsticks and three matching liners. Unavailable in China, the kit represents a saving of £45. The offer runs from 25 January to 1 February 2020.
- NARS (Westfield Stratford City) – is offering an exclusive free gift when purchasing more than 2 items from its Chinese New Year Collection. The offer applies from 1 January until 29 February 2020. The brand has unveiled a limited-edition collection inspired by beauty and good fortune, adorned in exclusive glossy-red packaging etched in gold.
- Dermalogica (Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City) – the luxury skin care brand is offering the chance to win a lucky red envelope containing either a treatment voucher or complimentary deluxe size products. Available in store from 25 January to 1 February 2020.
- Natura Bissé Spa (Westfield London) – has created a special Chinese New Year Diamond Cocoon Value Set, available at a cut price of £277 instead of its recommended retail price of £347. The special offer is on from 1-31t January 2020.
- Kate Spade New York (Westfield London) – from 6 January to 2 February 2020, the high-end brand is marking the year of the rat (and its love for cats!) with an exclusive Tom and Jerry x Kate Spade New York collaboration. From 18 January until 2 February 2020 the brand is also offering a monogrammed luggage tag with purchases of £200 or more (while stocks last).
- 7 For All Mankind (Westfield London) – the premium American denim brand is offering a free gift with purchases over £250 from 13 January to 26 January 2020.
- Rabot 1745 Beauty (Westfield London) – Shoppers buying three items will get another item gifted from 13-26 January 2020.
- Caffe Concerto (Westfield London) – The dining brand has teamed-up with Tea Makers of London to offer customers a free tea-tasting masterclass on 25 January 2020.